Traditional PDF version (NOTE: Lags online version (no links either!))
Credit Suisse Group AG
New York, NY Oct 2018 - present
Head of International Trading Solutions Technology, Global Markets
Explorer and Innovator Jul 2017 - Oct 2018
Experimenting in the startup space in bioinformatics, finance, and
entertainment verticals using the latest crop of technologies including
transaction-enabled MongoDB, Ethereum smartcontract on-/off-chain integration,
semantic modeling, "true" event-oriented service-based architectures, CLI/API
driven control of GCP and AWS clouds, and everything-as-a-service architectures.
New York, NY Nov 2013 - Jun 2017
Enterprise Architect & Special Solutions; CTO of Partner Program
North American presales and strategic positioning at the
enterprise level for at
database. Duties include
major financial services account pre-sales and strategic engagement, special
systems integrator projects, developing the rich shape ecosystem around
MongoDB, and speaking engagements at the
Notable projects included large scale stock and bond index composition and calculation,
full stack geo platforms (from Google Maps thru Java geo libs to MongoDB),
advanced risk management in the geo and RiskMetrics output spaces,
bioinformatics and next-gen management of variants and samples, electronic
health and medical records (EMR/EHR), web media placement/campaign systems,
and simplified blockchain and semantic analysis solutions.
Active engagement with ISVs, Tier 1 hardware vendors, and global SIs to
design and execute next-gen solutions.
JPMorganChase & Co., Inc.
New York, NY May 2008 - April 2013
Chief Architecture Officer, Investment Bank
enterprise business and technical architecture
and important strategic and tactical design efforts for $2.28B global IT group of 9000 development & support staff. Member of enterprise-wide Architecture Board guiding technology for Firmwide IT population of 34,000.
- One of five technology direct reports to CIO
and responsible for organizing, prioritizing, and contributing to cross-tower (front office, back office, risk, infrastructure) efforts including risk, P&L, and position system rationalization, important tools leverage in software analysis and GUI development, collateral & margin management and optimization, and migration/integration of OTC trading and risk to the next-generation in-house
- Reformulated Architecture Office starting in summer 2008 following Bear Stearns acquisition
- Aligned my staff to the most important business-oriented projects in the portfolio including complete overhaul of backoffice core processing technology
- Made review of project proposals an up-front component of the
and organized a team to systematically triage hundreds of business cases per year
- Reduced headcount and budget by 90% over the course of 24 months
- Developed own charter and created matrix reporting model involving approx. 50 leadership developers across all business areas
- Crafted approach to Reference Data Consolidation involving many major systems and designed a next-generation, hybrid database technology approach to scrubbing and overrides
- Championed, designed, and personally helped implement full-fledged services such as cross-asset post-execution trade
dataset population and
management, and business exceptions management
- Championed, designed, and personally helped implement richly-structured dynamic data SDK and persistence layer that moved major platforms beyond the traditional complications of XML,
other formats, and 1000 table relational databases and
unsupportably long SQL statements.
- Designer of progressive technology and data management solutions including scalable, long-term, change-friendly persistence, stateless messaging and
granted Dec 2015)
RDF and linked data,
next-generation software/hardware/information footprint management, and future-proofed portal GUI frameworks.
- Responsible for Quality and Development Practices program begun in mid-2011 that achieved an independently measured 47% reduction in application defects in the critical applications portfolio over 14 months. Major contributor and innovator in this space to shape direction of firmwide reporting and strategic goals.
- Responsible for
team that designs, catalogs, and provides onboarding services for logical and physical business models that touch essentially every system and together total nearly 6000 shapes.
- Partner with HR in constructing sensible and targeted training, certification, award, and reward programs and how they intersect with compensation and promotion. Responsible for advanced training and Distinguished Engineer selection process for the Investment Bank.
- Member of both North American and European ED/VP Promotion and MD interrank committees
BEAR STEARNS & CO., INC. New York, NY Feb 2000 - May 2008
Chief Architecture Officer
Responsible for enterprise architecture and important tactical design efforts for $700M global IT group of 2000 FTE development & support staff. Oversight role for all projects in firm-wide technology portfolio. Team of 27 SMEs and associates provides leadership in technology stack standards and leading-edge solutions architecture, software design, information modeling, product R&D, and corporate information security for projects across all lines of business including equities, fixed income, clearance, derivatives, operations, asset management, private client services, and investment banking. Approx. 16 matrixed reports from senior architects in LOB-aligned (but IT managed) development groups.
- Built Architecture Office from scratch in early 2000 following major reorganization of IT department where head of fixed income structuring (FAST) was asked to become CIO and took me with him into IT to help build a new management team.
- Developed own charter, metrics for success, communications program, and management reporting.
- Created, syndicated, and enforced standards for SOA, web services, messaging, middleware, workflow, programming languages, software leverage & reuse, configuration management, documentation, monitoring, and single-sign-on authentication.
- Built the
(Solutions Development Lifecycle) management framework used by entire firm to specify requirements, design, compliance with standards, and manage asset inventory.
- Led all technology product R&D including distributed caches, event correlation, ETL, profilers & development tools, and defensive and operational security components.
- Created and led the Vendor Management program to optimize use of technology, focus vendors on priorities, and properly size deals.
- Championed and crafted extremely good ELA deals with BEA (all products including WLRT), TIBCO (all products), Oracle, Gemstone, Ascential.
- Designed and helped implement multi-asset high performance portfolio valuation solution using 100% Java and employing the very latest technology such as very large (100GB memory) distributed caches running on 64bit platforms to replace an outdated and unsupportable system built by consultants in the mid 1990s.
- Managed a 30 member combined technology & business team for OTC Derivatives STP. Designed, built, and deployed a large scale, multi-system integration and legacy data conversion project to bring together four OTC derivatives risk and structuring systems, two middle office systems for ticketing and confirmations, and a back office booking, collateral management, and deal processing system. 4X reduction in input significantly reduced breaks, freed staff to manage higher-margin products, and enabled a 300% increase in the volume of vanilla contracts created.
- Managed an 8 member team to design, build, and deploy
, the next-generation bond portfolio valuation application. Leveraged SOA and internet/security-aware architecture from my earlier work to rapidly create and deliver the application. BondStudio is deployed to dozens of our best customers and is an integral part of the fixed income business that has had five consecutive years of record earnings and generates 30% of the firm's $9.1B net income.
- Speaker at SIA Conference, DWT, investment professional consortiums, and other venues on strategies to adopt emerging technology, security, and information architecture.
- Profiled by Waters Magazine for accomplishments in setting standards, vision, and building partnerships across lines of business.
BEAR STEARNS & CO., INC. New York, NY 1992 - 2000
Director of Technology, FAST (Fixed Income Dept.)
Responsible for FAST (Financial Analytics and Structured Transactions) group architecture standards and design and development of major applications in $1B net revenue department. Ensured innovation in technology matched pace of business innovation to secure Bear Stearns as #1 ranked mortgage-backed securities sales and trading unit.
- Recruited by head of FAST from other development unit and began a 20 year career working with him
- Designed, Built, and Supported HYDRA, the industry-leading bond portfolio valuation and analysis platform, with a team of approx. ten. HYDRA is a multi-application, n-tiered architecture written in C/Unix/Motif and was SOA/internet/messaging capable from day one.
- Gave HYDRA product demos and assisted buy-side customers both on- and offsite.
- Managed department-wide Y2K certification
- Developed a leveraging architecture for perl to RAD-enable all C and C++ library components.
- Initiated and authored the first revision of the
Perl DBD/DBI modules,
then and to this day the most popular and important modules in the global perl programming community.
- Led product R&D efforts
BEAR STEARNS & CO., INC. New York, NY 1988 - 1992
Programmer, Fixed Income Dept.
Programmer and Manager for a variety of projects in the trade capture and operations space.
- Designed, Built, and Managed Spitfire, a C/Unix based distributed system for trade capture, financing, and settlement. Responsible for staffing the development team, technical and business analysis, system architecture design, and standards documentation and enforcement.
- Delivered a Mortgage Allocations Tail Profit Optimizer that paid for its development within two months and generated $10M net profit per year.
- Worked on fixed income trade booking and repo systems and made them generic for sale on an ASP basis to several large customers.
SALOMON BROTHERS INC. New York, NY 1986 - 1988
Business Systems Analyst
Application Design Leader and project coordinator for automating Salomon Brothers Realty Corp. operations. Responsibilities included all staff training, design of database engine interfacing, system utilities, program development tools, and applications coding for the IBM RT/AIX operating environment with an emphasis on portability across UNIX platforms.
- Created the first PC-based system for price/yield analysis and mortgage delinquency management by bringing dBASE III together with a PC-compiled version of the mortgage group's FORTRAN CALCLIB. Distributed the solution to 12 analysts and reduced group time to perform morning portfolio valuation from 3 hours to approx. 15 minutes with dramatically fewer errors.
- Participated in the firm-wide investigation and development of workstation/mainframe data resource sharing.
- Standardized documentation production using PostScript and emacs.
exam, June 1993;
Series 7 &
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., June 1986
Playing Rock for Wounded Warriors Project, Reserve Aid, and Operation Finally Home
Scuba diving, performance driving & automobilia, and playing and recording original music